Today we want to focus on the subject, which became very widespread in recent years – let’s talk about which tablet computer is better to choose and buy.
Let’s start with the fact what is a tablet at all.
There is no clear definition of a “computer tablet” or simply a “tablet”. The complexity of the definition lies in the fact that most tablets can perform functions of other devices, such as e-books or even a mobile phone.
In general, we can say that this category includes mobile devices that operate under the control of a particular operating system and are managed through the touch screen.
Why do we need a tablet?
You can use a it to work with office applications, watching videos, listening music, playing games, and also this gadget can play the role of a GPS navigator, a photo/video camera – this is not all the features and capabilities of this device.
Consider the main features of a good tablet in more detail:
1. Tablet screen size.
The screen is the main input and output tool in such devices. It is clear that the size of the screen will depend on the convenience of such a tool.
The size of the tablet screens, like most screens of other electronic devices, is determined in inches across the diagonal.
There are the following main screen sizes for tablet computers:
- Up to 7″. Such a screen has so-called pocket tablets, because due to their relatively small size, they can be hidden in the pocket.
- 7″. 7 inch screen tablets are the most common. This is probably the most popular size, we can say – the “standard” screen size.
- 8-10″. These tablet PCs are also quite popular and can also be considered as a standard.
- More than 10″. A tablet with a maximum screen size (e.g. 12”) has not many differences in size with laptops.
When choosing the tablet sizes, the first thing to consider is where you will use it and how to carry it. If you want to wear a device in your pocket – it’s better to choose tablet models with a screen size of no more than 7″, and if it is more important for you to use the benefits of a large screen – choose a 10 inch tablet.
2. Tablet screen resolution.
About a resolution was already mentioned in the article about photo-frames.
A tablet’s display resolution depends on image quality.
Here is the rule: the higher tablet resolution is better.
- For models with a screen size of less than 7 inches, a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels and better than 800 x 600 pixels is considered normal.
- For 7″ inch tablets the minimum requirements are 1024×600 pixels, and better 1280×800 pixels.
- For models with a screen size of more than 7″ it is better to choose models with a high resolution of 1280×800 pixels and more.
The best tablet resolution in this moment is FULL HD – 1920×1080 pixels.
3. Tablet screen sensor type.
A screen replaces both the keyboard and the mouse for this device, so the control of the device depends on the type of sensor.
There are two main different types of screen sensors: resistive and capacitive (accumulative).
- Resistive touch screen – responds only to one-touch contact at one point.
- The capacitive touch screen has some advantages – it reacts to several touches simultaneously, so it is also called multi-touch screen.
If compare resistive vs capacitive touch screen – it is better to choose capacitive ones.
Also it is better to choose tablets with multi-touch, not less than 5 points.
4. Characteristics of tablet processor.
What is a tablet pc processor?
A processor is a heart of any tablet computer, however, as well as other similar devices.
The main characteristics of a processor are a frequency and a number of cores.
We mentioned the frequency of the processor in the article about media players.
Tablet computer processors often have a frequency of 1 MHz. You should no pay your attention for smaller values, but for bigger.
More commonly are devices with a frequency of 1,2 or 1,5 MHz, which can be considered as a normal indicator.
Tablets computers can have one, two or four (quad)-cores processors. The most powerful tablet can also have eight (octa)-core processor.
We think that in the future the number of cores will still increase.
The number of cores depends on the number of operations that the processor can process simultaneously. In this case, each core will have the frequency specified in the specification.
For most office and other current tasks a quad-core tablet with 1.2 MHz may be sufficient, but for multimedia and games it is better to buy a 1.5-1.7 MHz and octa-core tablet.
5. Operative and storage memory volume.
A tablet works speed also depends on its RAM (operative memory).
Modern inexpensive devices can have a RAM of 512 MB.
However, it is better to choose models with an operative memory volume of 1 GB and more.
The amount of storage depends on the amount of information that you can store on a device without the use of external storage.
Often, tablets have from 2 to 16 GB of internal memory. To be honest, 2 or 4 GB is really small.
It’s better to choose a tablet with minimum 8 GB storage memory.
To expand internal memory, devices often use external memory cards that are installed in special slots, you need to prefer such tablets with expandable memory.
6. Tablets operating system.
A separate operating system is used to operate the tablet computer.
The most commonly you can meet following tablets operating systems:
- Android. This operating system from Google can be found on many mobile gadgets, tablets are no exception. A significant advantage of Android is the availability of a large variety of tablet applications, ranging from office to entertainment.You can find a cheap Android tablet with price starting from $50-60.
- iOS. The iOS operating system is Apple’s product. This system is characterized by high performance and operation stability. IOS apps are also quite diverse and numerous. The limitation of iOS is that it is limited only to Apple products.
- Windows. The most common (at least for now) operating system for PC, is also used in the field of tablet computers. The benefits of this operation include full compatibility with other Microsoft products, including those such as MS Office or Outlook. But the company-manufacturer prefers other directions, so the prospects of this system on mobile devices are not very clear.
7. Additional features.
Additional (for somebody may be and basic) features of the tablet computers include:
- Mobile telephone. Some tablets have the ability to install sim-cards, which can be used to make calls.
- Photo/video camera. Most of the tablets have one or even two – the front and rear – cameras. Good tablet camera will help you to take photos, videos and make video calls. Its resolution must be not lower than 2 Mpx. Some cameras may be with flash.
- The Internet. Because tablets are also a subspecies of computers, they have nowhere to go without the Internet. A device can be connected to the Internet via the WI-FI module, which is available in almost every tablet or via a 3G/4G/5G modem, which can also be embedded or connected separately.
- GPS. Many tablets can play the role of a GPS navigator, thanks to the built-in GPS module.
- Radio. This option allows you listen to the radio.
In addition to these, tablets can have a number of other additional features.
The most popular tablet manufacturers are Apple (in fact, the pioneer in this area), as well as ASUS, SAMSUNG and others. The products of these companies are characterized by high quality assembly and reliability.
Recently, the “Chinese” tablets such as Pipo, Huawei and others have become increasingly popular.
Such models in their characteristics are not so inferior to the flagship industry, but they are really cheaper.
It should be borne in mind that this is still another price category, respectively, the quality and reliability of work may be also lower, although this is a controversial issue.